TRACK • Leadership
Why aren’t there more fundraisers on For-Purpose Boards?
Thursday 23 Feb 2023 - 10:50 am to 11:50 am
- Advanced (more than 7 years experience)
Boards have a critical role in many aspects of successful fundraising: setting organisational purpose and mission which is central to the case for donor support, understanding and nurturing a culture of philanthropy, making informed strategy and investment decisions, reviewing risks, and helping to identify and build donor relationships. Yet not many professional fundraisers serve on the boards of social-purpose organisations.
This panel discussion is to encourage more fundraisers to “walk the talk” and serve, to help de-mystify the board role for those who may be hesitant, and show that it’s not just something for the very experienced.
Three high-achieving people who are both board members and successful fundraisers talk about:
- How they reached fulfilling board positions, and how to plan for the opportunity
- Their most rewarding aspects of serving
- The role of training to become an effective board member
- The traps to avoid – like getting recruited (or volunteering) solely to “become responsible for fundraising”
- The powerful contribution which a fundraiser can make to a board by bringing “can-do” energy and the knowledge of what is possible